How do I apply for financial aid?

You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to receive funds from any Federal, State, or university need-based aid program.

You may obtain the FAFSA from any high school guidance office, or you can complete the FAFSA on the Web. The University of Houston's federal code is 003652. Students and parents can now use their Federal PINs to sign their FAFSA on the Web application electronically. Signing electronically saves time and eliminates the need to print, sign, and mail in a signature page to complete the application process. If you or your parents do not already have a Federal PIN, you can apply for one by going to the Federal PIN Web site at

If you would like to have your Federal PIN delivered to you electronically, you will need to provide an email address during the request process. You will be sent an email once your request is processed. This email will contain a link to the secure Federal PIN delivery Web site where you will be able to input your data and retrieve your Federal PIN online.

Completing your FAFSA online expedites the application process. Fully admitted degree-seeking students, please allow 4-5 weeks after you apply for financial aid to be informed of any awards. You will receive an e-mail alerting you to go to your myUH account to view your awards. If you are filling out your FAFSA for the following school year awarding usually begins in April. You can check the status of your financial aid through your myUH account.

Here is the process in six easy steps:

  1. Apply for a student and parent Federal PIN number at Your PIN will allow you to access and sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. Complete the FAFSA online at as soon as possible, after January 1 and prior to March 1. The University of Houston's Federal School Code is 003652.
  3. You will be notified via e-mail that your Student Aid Report (SAR) is ready for review and has been forwarded to the school of your choice. Make necessary corrections to your SAR online at using your Federal PIN.
  4. Monitor your application status in your myUH account. The U.S. Department of Education may randomly select you for the verification process. If selected, we will request, via e-mail, specific documents to complete your financial aid application. We also will notify you of any additional documentation that may be requi
Created: May 28, 2002 - 1:33pm Updated: Oct 24, 2017 - 8:28am Author: Web Technologies Article: 89
Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.