The UH VPN client does not always work in Windows 8.1 and a manual setup is required.
This procedure presupposes that you already have configured a network connection to the Internet (the "Public network"). If not, you should do this first.
- Logon to Windows using an account with Administrative Rights.
[NOTE: If this account does not have a password, then stop!Unless and until every user account on the computer is protected by a "good" (i.e., strong) password, you do not want your computer connected to the University LAN. It could be compromised within minutes, if not seconds.]
- Using the Win+C hotkey click on Settings > Change PC Settings > Network > and Add a VPN connection. [You can also hit Win+w and search VPN and get to the setup.]
- If needed the VPN provider should be Microsoft.
- Enter UHVPN for Connection name.
- Enter your User Name and Password.
- For the Internet Address enter either 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199.
- Turn on Automatically Detect Settings and enter the following:
User Name: CougarNet user name
Password: CougarNet password
Domain: Cougarnet (optional)
[NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you do not check the Remember this password box, because when your CougarNet password expires and must be changed, this saved password will no longer be correct, and the next time that the VPN connection is attempted, it will fail repeatedly and rapidly with an incorrect password, resulting in your account being locked out.]
- To confirm your setup was succesfulgo to Settings > Network > Connections and look for the UHVPN icon.
Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.