What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

The U.S. Department of Education requires the all students who receive Title IV funding (federal student financial aid) make satisfactory progress (SAP) towards graduation. The University of Houston monitors the academic records of its students in three specific areas:

a.) Cumulative grade point average
b.) Percentage of semester credit hours passed versus total semester credit hours attempted
c.) Total attempted semester credit hours

Failure to maintain SAP according to these guidelines can result in the the student's federal aid being discontinued. Students do have the opportunity to submit appeals for extenuating circumstances with regards to their SAP. 

Please visit the UH Satisfactory Academic Progress website at: http://www.uh.edu/financial/undergraduate/how-apply/satisfactory-academic-progress/index.php for more information.

For further questions, students can contact the Scholarships & Financial Aid customer service call center at (713) 743-1010, option 5.

Created: Dec 14, 2011 - 5:28am Updated: Mar 27, 2012 - 10:7am Author: Web Technologies Article: 2478
Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.