In the Spring 2011 semester, mail.uh.edu system administrators implemented a system change to improve overall system performance and security. Email validation is now required to send messages from mail.uh.edu email accounts.
Email validation means that your reply-to email address must be your default mail.uh.edu email address in your email client software settings. When using the http://mail.uh.edu/ webpage to compose and send email messages, you are not affected by this change.
Your default mail.uh.edu email address should be listed as one of the following:
If you have recently attempted to send a message from your mail.uh.edu account and received an error that says "Cannot send message using the server mail.uh.edu. Sending the message content to the server failed" and the email did not send, you will have to change your reply-to email address in Apple Mail to be your default mail.uh.edu address. Here is how to do it:
- Click on the Mail menu in the upper-left corner and select Preferences.
- Click on the Accounts icon to reveal the email settings pane.
- In the left column, select the entry for mail.uh.edu and the options will appear to the right, in the same window.
- In the Email Address field, enter your email@example.com
- Click on the red "X" button in the upper-left corner of the window and save your changes, if prompted.
For a quick tutorial, with screenshots, on changing your mail.uh.edu reply-to address in Apple Mail, consult the document attached below.
If you have any additional questions about changing your mail.uh.edu reply-to address, email validation, or alternate email delivery options, please contact the UH IT Support Center (UITSC) at 713-743-1411, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.