What can I do if I am having trouble paying back my student loans?

First, contact your lender or loan servicer right away if you think you’re going to have trouble making payments. Don’t wait until you get behind! Your loan holder can look at your situation and offer several options to help you, including cancellation or consolidation, deferment and forbearance, as well as a choice of repayment plans, as discussed in the previous section

For Federal Perkins Loans, contact your loan servicer or the school that made you the loan.
For FFEL Loans, contact the lender or agency that holds your loan.
For Federal Direct Loans, contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at www.dl.ed.gov or by calling 1-800-848-0979 or 1-315-738-6634. TTY users should call 1-800-848-0983

Created: Jul 09, 2004 - 6:12am Updated: Oct 26, 2011 - 7:11am Author: Web Technologies Article: 1243
Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.