How is dependency status determined?
You are a dependent student unless you can answer YES to one of the following questions:
- You are at least 24 years old by December 31st of the award year.
- You’re married as of the day you apply (or separated but not divorced).
- You are or will be enrolled in a master’s or doctorate program (beyond a bachelor’s degree) at the beginning of the school year.
- You have children who receive more than half of their support from you.
- You have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half their support from you and will continue to receive more than half their support from you through the school year.
- Both your parents are deceased, or you are or were (until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court.
- You’re a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. (A “veteran” includes students who attended a U.S. service academy and who were released under a condition other than dishonorable. For more detail on who is considered a veteran, see the explanatory notes on the FAFSA.)
Created: Apr 21, 2004 - 6:48am Updated: Oct 26, 2011 - 7:11am Author: Web Technologies Article: 1152
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.