How do my parents get a Federal Direct PLUS loan?

How do I apply?
Parents can log into the Federal website and apply for a PLUS Loan. Learn more at the Parent web page at and at the University of Houston Loans web page.

Required Forms
1. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): The FAFSA is required in order for a Parent PLUS loan to be processed. The FAFSA is available at

How much can I borarticle?
You can borarticle up to the cost of attendance for the school year minus any other financial aid you receive. For example, if your cost of attendance is $15,000 for the school year and you were awarded a total of $10,000 in grants and Stafford loans, then you can apply for a PLUS loan in any amount up to $5,000.

{Cost of Attendance - Financial Aid = Max PLUS eligibility}

How are the funds disbursed?
Funds disburse through Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and are automatically applied towards any monies owed to the university (tuition, fees, housing, etc.) Any remaining credit balance will be credited refunded to your Higher One refund card. Learn more about selecting a refund preference at the University of Houston Refund FAQs page.

What about repayment?
Generally, the first payment is due 60 days after the final loan disbursement for the period of enrollment for which you borarticleed. There is no grace period for these loans. Interest begins to accumulate at the time the first disbursement is made, and your parent will begin repaying both the principal and interest while you’re in school. Learn more at the Parent web page at

Created: Apr 20, 2004 - 9:2am Updated: Oct 26, 2011 - 7:11am Author: Web Technologies Article: 1146
Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.