Are foreign visitors exempt from federal tax when they receive payment for giving a speech to our department?

If the U.S. has a treaty with the "Country of Residence" of this visitor, and the UH Tax Department has Form 8233 processed with the Internal Revenue Service before the lecture, this visitor may be exempt from federal income tax withholding.

Created: Feb 19, 2004 - 4:9pm Updated: Aug 07, 2009 - 5:10am Author: Web Technologies Article: 1002
Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback. Click Here to submit again.